About Photomatter Blog

Photomatter Blog is an extension of Photomatter.com's Photography web site featuring photos by James Markus. The blog will focus on photography, business practices, equipment, new photographic creations, important photographic news/information, recent work, and my occasional posts.

Monday, July 20, 2015

Time Travel

A convergence of old...



A couple months ago my mother gave me this pocket watch. Its value is that it belonged to my grandfather; whom I never meet. However, I was born on his birthday and share his first name as my middle name (Paul). Yesterday, I gave the stem a twirl, and the watch leapt to life. The rhythm was amazingly precise, and I thought about how to capture that accuracy. This is a 150 second slice of time as recorded by the watch. Notice the perfect spacing of the minute hand. So, what is the "convergence of old"? Well, first there is the old man that took this image, me. Next, I employed a 35+ year old manual focus Nikkor lens (105mm f4.0 ais micro), and of course the watch itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment